If you are looking for a quick snack for movie night, kids parties or just because, pretzels are a great option. Pretzels go well as both sweet and savory snack. There are hundreds of flavor combination you can mix with them. Since I have some leftover dulce de leche sauce in the fridge, I made a batch of these moorish, yum yum delicious Salted Caramel with Chocolate Pretzels
For the sake of speed and convenience, I bought ready salted pretzels. Getting good quality pretzels that do not break easily can be tricky. After several bad experiences using ready bagged salted pretzels, I ended up trying the ones from wholefood stores. They are the ones displayed in bulk containers where you have to scoop, bag and weigh your food.
Somehow, pretzels from the wholefood stores tend to be thicker, does not break off easily and tastier too! If you prefer not to get salted caramel, you can make an adjustment by adding pink sea salt into your caramel sauce.
I had some leftover cooking chocolate which I zapped in the microwave on medium for a few minutes. However, I have previously used other options such as melted Nutella and chocolate sauce .Basically, whatever I had in the kitchen!
Salted Caramel & Chocolate Pretzels
- 200 ml / 7 oz Milk Caramel
- 50 gm / 0.12 lbs Chocolate melts
- 30 pieces Salted Pretzels
- Heat dulce de leche /milk caramel in the microwave on medium in 30 seconds burst until it becomes silky and runny
- Dip pretzels into dulce de leche and place on the cooling rack
- Chill pretzels in the fridge for 15 minutes
- Heat chocolate melts in the microwave on medium in 30 seconds burst until melted and runny
- Take pretzels out of the fridge
- Using a spoon, drizzle chocolate melts all over pretzels
- Return pretzels into the fridge for 2 hours or until it have set or until ready to consume
- Pretzels are best consumed when chilled – in room temperature, caramel becomes sticky and difficult to handle
- If using non salted caramel, add a pinch of pink salt into caramel mixture when heating
- If running out of time , you can halve chilling time by placing pretzels in the freezer
- Find recipe for dulce de leche here