I know many people will go, … how hard can it be? It is only basmati rice! Do you know how many times I have failed to cook rice properly? I mean without it being a) Under-cooked b)Overcooked and gluggy? Many, many times!
Here I will show you the easiest way to cook the perfect rice using a rice cooker. Again, how can one mess up cooking rice in a rice cooker right? A rice cooker is a tool made specifically for one thing. Well, actually you can use a rice cooker for other dishes, but that is a discussion for another time.
Why Basmati Rice?
The rice I am using for this demonstration is Basmati Rice. I consume this rice at home as Basmati Rice :
- Is not as starchy as other rice
- Still holds its shape and flavors even when you go a bit over with liquid
- Basmati is low GI, so you will feel full for longer
- It freezes and reheats very well
- The long slender-grain of this rice allows you to add other ingredients to the rice without ‘breaking the rice’, and yet the rice will still absorb the flavors of the additional ingredients added. Making it the best rice for dishes such as; Fried Rice, Pulao, Biryani and Coconut Rice
- They are delicious!
However, the Rice is Unsuitable For..
For the same reason as above, Basmati Rice is not suitable for dishes such as Congee/Rice Porridge (takes ages to breakdown), Risottos (does not turn creamy/starchy) or Sushi (it is not glutinous).
When buying Basmati , you will find that they tend to be a little bit more expensive than the other rice varieties such as long grain or Jasmine. But since they are low GI, they fill you up quicker by consuming only a small amount – and you stay full longer.
How To Cook the Perfect Basmati Rice
- Rice Cooker
- 1 Cup Uncooked Basmati Rice
- 2 Cups Cold Water
- Rinse the rice under running tap water prior to cooking to remove any impurities
- Add rice and water into the rice cooker bowl
- Cook until rice cooker automatically turns off
- Rice is best served hot
- The above how to is the fundamental , fail proof method on cooking rice. Simply double, triple the amount if you require more rice
- Make it more interesting by adding salt, spices, nuts and many more.