You know winter is in full swing when this dish is on repeat in my kitchen every couple of weeks! Shortcut Tomato Chicken Stew using the good ol’ Campbell’s® Condensed Tomato Soup, that is always sitting in the pantry, handy. This recipe is so popular at home for a few reasons:
1) It is cheap and easy to make
2) Everybody can eat it, so no additional ‘grown-up’ dish needed
3) You can just about use any ingredients you have.
4) This is a great recipe to try your cooking gadgets on – instant pot, slow cooker, yes! yes!
5) An Epic dish for meal prep.
See, told you, you’ll love this!
I first got introduced to this genius dish by a close university mate who was an international student from the Philippines. He would make this at least once a fortnight and one day, he invited me to try this dish. He explained that the dish was his shortcut version of Chicken Afritada (Filipino Chicken Stew). While the stew is not “exactly” Filipino, it does have the element of sour, sweet and salty commonly found in Filipino food.
Back then, since I was still learning to cook, I was quite surprised at how easy and fail-proof it was. This dish stayed as part of my ‘entertaining friends in winter’ repertoire for years until I had the confidence to try other recipes. It always scores me a few compliments.
The star of this dish for me is the potatoes, they seem to absorb the tomato flavours the most. While using canned tomato soup as part of a stew base may seem a little one dimensional, adding strong flavours such as capsicum and black pepper really takes the dish up a notch. People are actually surprised when I tell them that I used Campbell’s® Condensed Tomato Soup in this dish.
What to Serve Tomato Chicken Stew With?
For Wok Hunk, these go best with warm toasted garlic bread while for me, plain rice! yes! This tomato chicken stew goes brilliantly with rice. I have since served this with creamy mash potatoes, cauliflower mash, pasta, couscous, soft polenta, crackers, parmesan bread, chaffle – the choices are endless.
While the stew goes well with your usual ‘stew-friendly root vegetables’, I have had great results with asparagus, broccoli, eggplant, corn, kale and snow peas.
Here’s to a bearable winter!
Campbell’s Tomato Chicken Stew
- 1 can Campbell's® Condensed Tomato Soup
- 1.1 lbs/ 500 gm Chicken Thigh Cut in bite size chunks
- 3 Large Potatoes Cut into wedges
- ½ cup Peas
- 1 cup Capsicum Red/Yellow
- 1 whole Carrot cut into thick chunks
- 1 cup Onions sliced thin
- 2 cups Chicken Stock/Broth
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- Bay Leaves
- Olive Oil
- Black pepper
- Saute chicken thigh with some butter and olive oil
- Add sliced onions and fry until onions turns translucent
- Add garlic
- Add carrot & potatoes
- Add capsicum and continue frying for few minutes
- Add a can of Campbell's Tomato Soup
- Followed by the chicken broth
- Add salt , pepper & bay leaves
- Cover and cook on medium for 20 minutes
- Add peas and cook for another 5 minutes
- Tomato Chicken stew is ready to be served with bread or rice
- After 20 minutes, the chicken is just nice and tender. However, if you would like the chicken texture to be ‘off the bone’ tender – add another 20 minutes covered. Just make sure to stir the pot every 10 minutes so nothing sticks on the bottom of pot
- If adding beef cubes instead of chicken, double the amount of stock and double the cooking time.