If you are a fan of sweet potatoes/kumaras, then you will love this baked sweet potatoes recipe. A great dish to prepare as meal prep, sweet potatoes are good when roasted as it releases the sugar from the potatoes, creating crispy caramelized nirvana.
As I am trying to lose a few kg’s before going on a vacation, I try to eat clean for most of my meals. This may not be for everyone, my version of clean eating includes lots of fresh foods as possible, very little refined sugars, reducing the usage of packet marinade and bottled sauces. Carbohydrates to come from either rice, grain, root vegetables or fruits. Meals consisting of mostly grilled/roasted meat and vegetables.
Having sweet potatoes as my choice of carbohydrates does not only keep me full for longer, it also significantly reduced my cravings for sweet things after a meal, which is a huge bonus. Clean eating, while it makes you feel lighter and good after a while, does become a bit mundane and tedious. When you do get to that stage, it is so easy to go “I don’t feel like salads today” and go for a cheeseburger instead. One of the things I do to avoid feeling this way often is by making my food as interesting as possible- by adding my favorite ingredients. Not only I will look forward to eating it, but my favorite ingredients will also smell good when I reheat my food.
Due to the simplicity of this dish, I will categorize it as a one-pan dish, though I did cheat a little by pre-cooking the sweet potatoes in the microwave, to cut my cooking time significantly.
Can sweet potatoes be microwaved?
Yes! With care, you can totally cook sweet potatoes in the microwave. I pre-cooked my sweet potatoes in the microwave for several minutes prior to baking them in the oven. This help reduces the baking time to half. If you don’t have an oven, you can continue to cook your potatoes in the microwave until the potatoes soften.
Tips for cooking sweet potatoes in the microwave
- Clean and scrubs potatoes and pat dry
- Create several holes on potatoes to assist with cooking
- Place in microwave safe container
- Cook on potatoes on high
- Remember to cook potatoes in stages, after cooking potatoes for several minutes turn the potatoes so it cooks evenly
- Nuked/microwaved potatoes are hot! So handle with care.
Baked Sweet Potatoes with Chicken
To continue with the simplicity, chicken and vegetables are seasoned with salt, pepper, lemon zest, lemon juice, and olive oil. I also chose vegetables that reheat well such as capsicum. Roasted capsicum has such an amazing profile that goes well with sweet potatoes and chicken. That combined with melted cheese, wrap this dish up beautifully.
Baked Sweet Potatoes with Chicken and Capsicum
- 4 Medium Sweet Potatoes / Kumaras
- 2 Large Chicken Breast
- 1 tbsp Lemon Zest
- ½ cup Olive Oil
- 2 Large Capsicum sliced
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 tbsp Chicken salt
- a pinch Black Pepper
- Wash and pat dry sweet potatoes
- Poke holes around sweet potatoes using a pork
- In a microwave-proof bowl, cook potatoes on high for 2.5 minutes
- After 2.5 minutes, remove potatoes, rotate (turn over) potatoes
- Put them back into the microwave on high for 2.5 minutes
- Set aside to cool
- Clean and pat dry chicken breast
- Marinate chicken with lemon zest, black pepper, chicken salt, and olive oil
- Set aside for a few minutes
One Pan Roasting
- On a large tray, place a greaseproof paper
- Line up the chicken breast on one side
- Add sliced capsicum in the middle
- Add the cooled sweet potatoes at the end
- Add salt and pepper on Capsicum
- Drizzle olive oil on the chicken, capsicum and sweet potatoes
- Cook in the oven – 180°c for 30 minutes
- Remove the tray from the oven
- Cut sweet potatoes into half
- Shred cooked chicken into small bite pieces
- Stuff shredded chicken and capsicum into cut sweet potatoes
- Top generously with cheese
- Place stuffed sweet potatoes back into the oven (grill) for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden
- Serve with a side salad or on its own
- If crunchy capsicum is preferred, removed capsicum from tray after 20 minutes
- Sweet potatoes can be fully baked in the oven, wrap each sweet potatoes in aluminum foil and cook sweet potatoes separately from chicken and vegetables. Around 60 minutes on 180°c.