If I have to describe this Baked Rice with Turmeric Chicken dish, I would describe it as a yummy and healthy dinner option, great after ‘a long day and all I want is to binge-watch Netflix’. Do you have one of those days where you just want something comforting and effortless for dinner because you rather spend your cooking time allowance on an additional episode of The Good Place?
If yes, then this is THE dish! You simply mix the handful of ingredients together, place it in an oven friendly container, chuck it in the oven and forget about it for 20 minutes! Before you know it, Voila!Dinner is ready.
I know I tend to overuse the word easy sometimes, but trust me, this is basically what it is. Easy! So easy that I have this dish as one of my favorite meal prep staples.
How to make Baked Rice & Chicken
Baked rice is so under rated and under appreciated. Many underestimate how much effortless magic you can create in the kitchen just by baking your rice instead of the usual rice cooker/stove top cooking.
Rice is capable of absorbing so much wonderful flavors from any ingredients you introduce (with it). Strategic combination of ingredients baked together with rice creates amazing dished that makes you go
“wow, this is yum, why didn’t I think of this before?”.
This buttered rice and turmeric chicken recipe takes inspiration from the middle east and Indian cooking. Where adding nuts and dried/preserved fruit in rice is common. The sweetness from raisins and peas lifts this dish from normal/boring to fantastic. Not to mention the addition of nuts in this
dish. The rice is so flavorsome that all the chicken need is a simple marinade of salt, pepper and turmeric.
You can also cut the chicken up in small bite sizes and mix it ‘in’ the rice, however, just remember that cooking it this way, the rice will absorb turmeric flavors from the chicken.
Total prep and cook time for this dish should not take you any more than 30 minutes – where 20 minutes of that time includes oven cooking time. I take the opportunity to shower or catch up on laundry/clean up!
Baked Rice with Turmeric Chicken
- 1 cup Basmati rice cleaned
- ½ cup Sultanas or Raisins
- ½ cup Cashew nut roasted
- ⅓ cup Peas
- 1 tsp Chicken salt/ stock powder
- 1½ Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Black pepper
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- 2 large Chicken Breast pieces
- ¼ cup butter cut into cubes
- Clean rice and move to a bowl
- Add sultanas/raisin
- Add cashew nuts
- Add peas
- Add chicken stock and water
- Make sure all ingredients are properly mixed
- Clean and pat dry 2 x Chicken breast
- Add salt
- Add turmeric powder
- Add black pepper
- Mix ingredients together until chicken breasts are properly coated
- Add rice mixture into container. If dividing the dish into two separate container, just made sure the amount is adequately divided
- Add chicken breast on top of rice
- Add butter on top of rice and chicken
- Bake in hot oven 180°c for 30 minutes or until rice and chicken are cooked
- Serve with side salad or on its own.
- Use any rice you prefer, Jasmine, long grain, wild rice or brown rice.
- For a more authentic middle east taste, replace cubed butter with ghee (clarified butter)
- Replace chicken breast with other parts or chicken or other meat, such as beef steak, prawns, fish, vegetables. Just remember if you do so, cooking time and temperatures vary with different option
- Cooking time calls for a medium sized chicken breast of approximately 0.3 to 0.4 lbs / 150 to 180 gm per breast
- Replace cashew nut with other nut option, my favourites are almonds, pistachios and pine nuts.
- Replace chicken salt with chicken cubes or liquid chicken stock/broth (instead of water)